Appalachia CARES/ Americorp Senior Home Repair Leader- Upper Cumberland Habitat for Humanity
Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian ministry founded on the conviction that every man, woman and child should have a decent, safe and affordable place to live.
Neighbor 2 Neighbor is a repair program of Upper Cumberland Habitat for Humanity. This program is for senior residents of Putnam and Overton counties who need affordable repairs done to a home that they currently own and live in. The focus is on seniors, age 60 and above and focuses on accessibility improvements, mobility modifications, weatherization enhancements, and critical home repairs that are crucial to help seniors live in their own homes longer. Upper Cumberland HFH wants to make continued homeownership for seniors a reality so they can age in place with the comfort and dignity they deserve.
This is a 12-month 900hr Appalachia CARES/ Americorp contract position at Upper Cumberland Habitat for Humanity. This position reports to the Director of Construction. The position is part time and includes work in the office, on senior repair construction sites, and in the construction warehouse. If hired, the contract includes a living stipend, educational award, and additional incentives. Approximately 20hr/week. 6-8 Repair Projects per month.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Oversee volunteer senior home construction projects
- Prepare & transport materials and supplies for the days project to the jobsite
- Safety materials and PPE. Maintain site safety through modeling of safety practices and guidelines, volunteer education, and site monitoring. Attend safety trainings with the construction staff
- Lead small groups of volunteers while on the work sites.
· Conduct home assessments for senior home repair projects. Assess repair needs, costs, and issues.
· Assist Construction Director with warehouse inventory, organization, and supplies
· Appalachia CARES program assigned paperwork and housing services project.
· Assist with hands-on construction tasks, mostly on repair projects with some new construction work
· Coordinate with Senior Repair Manager on subcontractor work
· Manage materials on site, in the affiliate warehouse, and in storage trailers. Pick up and organize materials needed for projects.
· Use volunteer management techniques to facilitate positive experiences for volunteers working on site
· Collaborate with construction staff to identify skilled/enthusiastic senior repair volunteers and cultivate their involvement in Habitat’s work (i.e., encourage them to consider being trained as regular site leaders and/or returning volunteers).
· Participate in regular planning and debriefing meetings as needed.
· On occasion, member may participate in larger community projects or events
· Attend and participate in select affiliate events; responsibilities may include set up, cleanup, and engaging with attendees
· Provide assistance on Habitat New Build construction sites, site prep/ office work when time allows
Preferred Skills and Experience:
· High School diploma or equivalent
· Valid Driver’s License and ability to meet host site’s insurance requirements
· Construction experience, especially repair/ rehab work
· Experience with power tools
· Ability to drive large pick-up trucks
· Strong verbal communication skills
· Experience working as a member of a team
· Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience
· Knowledge of community development practices
Physical requirements for this position
· Ability to be on one’s feet for extended periods of time, often on rough and uneven terrain
· Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. on a regular basis
· Ability to work on ladders and heights of up to two-stories
· Ability to work in varying weather conditions
This position is located in the Cookeville, TN Area
Habitat is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Provides Equal Housing Opportunity